|Dalkeith||plantation house in SE Warren County near Arcola. Built in 1824 by Jack Burgess; still used as a dwelling.|
|Dallas||town in central Gaston County. Authorized to be laid out as county seat by act creating the county, 1846. It remained the county seat until 1909, when Gastonia was selected by popular vote. Inc. 1863. Named for George M. Dallas (1792-1864), vice president of the United States at the time the county was created. The area received postal service as early as 1817 from Hoylesville post office, named for Andrew Hoyle, first postmaster, and located 3 mi. E of site of Dallas. Post office service began in Dallas in 1846.|
|Dallas Township||N central Gaston County.|
|Dalton||community in SW Stokes County. Alt. 785. A post office there in 1874 was known as Boyles’ Store.|
|Dalton Branch||rises in NW Swain County in Great Smoky Mountains National Park and flows SE into Moore Springs Branch.|
|Dalton Creek||rises in E Macon County and flows NE into Caler Fork.|
|Dalton Gap||on the Swain County, N.C.-Blount County, Tenn., line in Great Smoky Mountains National Park between Sheep Wallow Knob and Parsons Bald. Alt. 2,955.|
|Dalton Ridge||NW Swain County in Great Smoky Mountains National Park extending NW from the head of Judy Branch to Sheep Wallow Knob.|
|Dam Creek||rises in S Pasquotank County and flows E into Big Flatty Creek.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.