|Caffey's Inlet||former inlet N of present town of Duck, E Dare County. In 1788 George Caffee bought a tract in the area but lost much of it when a small inlet cut through his property. Also known as Providence Inlet.|
|Caffey's Inlet Station||was built by the U.S. Lifesaving Service in 1874 at Caffey's Inlet. Destroyed by fire, its replacement, built 1899, later served U.S. Coast Guard. Later housed restaurant.|
|Cagle Branch||rises in W Jackson County and flows SE into Savannah Creek.|
|Cagles Mill||community in NE Montgomery County served by post office, 1876-1921.|
|Cahaba||community in SW Bertie County.|
|Cahoogue Creek||rises in SE Craven County approx. 3 mi. NW of North Harlowe and flows approx. 3½ mi. NW into Hancock Creek.|
|Cahoon Point||extends from E Onslow County into White Oak River. Named for John Cahoon, early settler.|
|Caintuck Township||See Canetuck Township.|
|Cairo||community in S Wake County. Named for the city in Egypt.|
|Cairo||community in SE Anson County. Served by post office, 1878-1904. Center of rich farming land. Named for Cairo, Egypt, also a center of rich farming land.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.