|Abier Creek||rises in SE Burke County and flows N into Henry Fork.|
|Abigails Islands||appear on the Smith map, 1624, as the cluster of islands in Pamlico Sound off S Hyde County between Rose Bay and Swanquarter Bay. Now Bell, Great, Judith, Marsh, and Swanquarter Islands, which see.|
|Abingdon Creek||rises in SW Caldwell County and flows SE into Lower Creek. Sometimes called Greasy Creek. Originally Aventon Creek for Aventon Sherrill, early settler.|
|Abner||community in N Montgomery County formerly known as Saunder's Hill and served by post office, 1859-98. Took Abner name in 1898. Post office by the name operated until 1953. By tradition named for local principal.|
|Abraham Bay||small bay in the mouth of Turn-again Bay in N Carteret County.|
|Abraham's Plains||former district in NE Granville County. It had 62 heads of families in 1790 at the time of the first census. Took its name from the home, built 1766, of Col. Samuel Smith, who had fought in the battle at Abraham's Plains at Quebec, Canada.|
|Abrams Branch||rises in S Transylvania County and flows NE into French Broad River.|
|Abshers||community in N Wilkes County between Harris Creek and Middle Prong Roaring River.|
|Academy Crossroads||See Nahunta.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.