|Albemarle Beach||NW Washington County on Albemarle Sound, W of the town of Mackeys. Formerly known as Reas Beach.|
|Albemarle City Lake||central Stanly County on Long Creek. Formed in 1915. Covers 75 acres; max. depth 40 ft. Fishing, swimming, boating.|
|Albemarle County||was est. in 1664 in the NE portion of the Lords Proprietors’ new province of Carolina covering a poorly defined 1,600 sq. mi. The first governor of the county was appointed in October 1664, and it soon also had a legislature and courts. By 1668 it was divided into Chowan, Currituck, Pasquotank, and Perquimans precincts. The county ceased to exist as a unit of government in Carolina in 1689, when Governor Seth Sothel departed. The next governor had his commission for "that part of our province of Carolina that lyes north and east of Cape feare," which was basically the whole of modern North Carolina.|
|Albemarle River||See Albemarle Sound.|
|Albemarle Section||See Albemarle, The.|
|Albemarle Sound||NE North Carolina, separated from the Atlantic Ocean by a part of the Outer Banks. Approx. 52 mi. long and 5 to 14 mi. wide. Max. depth 25 ft. Sea level; freshwater not affected by tide. Waters from the Chowan and Roanoke Rivers enter the sound on the w; it drains into Roanoke, Croatan, and Pamlico Sounds. Explored by Ralph Lane, 1586; known as Sea of Rawnocke (Roanoke Sea) in 1609. Appears as Roanoke Sound on the Comberford map, 1657. Known briefly in 1663 as Carolina River and appears as Albemarle River on the Locke map, 1671, and the Blome map, 1672. The John Barnwell map of about 1722 was one of the first to use the name Albemarle Sound. First permanent settlements in North Carolina were made along its N shore. Named after 1663 for George Monck, Duke of Albemarle, one of the Lords Proprietors of Carolina. See also Weapemeoc.|
|Albemarle Township||See North Albemarle Township; South Albemarle Township.|
|Albemarle, The||or the Albemarle Section a term applied to NE North Carolina. It was the location of the first county, Albemarle County, which see.|
|Albert Mountain||S Macon County between Bearpen Gap and head of Hurricane Creek. Alt. 5,207.|
|Albertson||community in NE Duplin County. Earlier known as Holt's Store for Marion Holt. Post office est. there as early as 1828.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.