|Akwetiyi||a spot on Tuckasegee River in NW Jackson County, about 1 mi. NW of town of Dillsboro, and between mouth of Dicks Creek and mouth of Laurel Branch. According to Indian tradition there was a dangerous water monster in the river. The meaning of the name is lost.|
|Alamance||community in W Alamance County. A post office est. there as early as 1828; cotton mill built in 1837 by E. M. Holt. Alt. 454. Post office name for many years was Allemance.|
|Alamance Battleground State Historic Site||W central Alamance County. Markers and a museum on the 40-acre site tell the story of the battle on May 16, 1771, in which the North Carolina militia under Gov. William Tryon defeated the Regulators.|
|Alamance Church||community in SE Guilford County. Second Ulster Scots Presbyterian Church in Guilford County, founded in the second half of eighteenth century.|
|Alamance County||was formed in 1849 from Orange County. Located in the central part of the state, it is bounded by Orange, Chatham, Randolph, Guilford, and Caswell Counties. Named for Great Alamance Creek, which see, or the Battle of Alamance, May 16, 1771. The name appears as Aramancy River in the writings of William Byrd, 1728. Area: 434 sq. mi. County seat: Graham, with an elevation of 656 ft. Townships, now numbered 1 to 13, were formerly Patterson, Coble, Boon Station, Morton, Faucette, Graham, Albright, Newlin, Thompson, Melville, Pleasant Grove, Burlington, and Haw River. Produces auto parts, tobacco, poultry, dairy and beef cattle, pecans, textiles, electronics, paper boxes, apparel, crushed stone, pyrophyllite, and bricks.|
|Alamance Creek||See Great Alamance Creek.|
|Alarka||community in S Swain County on Yalaka Creek, from which it takes its name.|
|Alarka Creek||See also Yalaka Creek.|
|Albans||community in NE Union County.|
|Albemarle||city and county seat in N central Stanly County. Alt. 505. Post office opened there as Smith's Store in 1826; name changed to Albemarle, 1841. Inc. 1857. Named for George Monck (1608-79), Duke of Albemarle, one of the original Lords Proprietors of Carolina in 1663.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.